Thursday, November 04, 2010

Notes, Moments, Cops, Death......

Ever have a day where you wonder, “ What just happened”? Today was a day like no other.


It started off with two notes from students first period. This student tells me she has a rash and cant run. Since she does not have a parent note she made one for me.Click on picture to make it bigger.

That's CRAMPS, not CRABS. ( I hope.)

Later that day a student came in and told me how I had talked an hour to another teacher about how wonderful she is in my class. That I was going to give her a student of the month award and so on. I told her what I had said and she was just shocked. You could tell that she was filled with a pride and joy that I don’t think she has seen form a teacher. She is ADHD and not the best classroom student. With me, she is great. I wanted her to know that. Her smile and red cheeks told me everything I needed to know. I reached her on a level that no one had. I felt honored that she let me in. Most of the time I talk to the kids and it goes in one ear and out the other. It was a powerful teaching moments. I have only a few that I can count on one hand that have been a true teaching moment in my 11 years of teaching.

After this amazing moment and funny note situation, I then was ending my day. It seems that my sweet tiny little 6th graders had to run by some thugs that were hanging out in the park where we run. They where drink 40oz beers. There were four guys and one girl who was passed out. I had to call for police services to come out. After hearing what it was the called for two cop cars. I talked to the cops, but at that time only one man and the lady were there. I did hear they guy had beer on him and some story about it’s not his backpack so if there’s drugs in it, then it’s not his.

Just then the principal calls to get the city out to pick up a dead bird that he does not want the kids messing with. (It was in the park so the city needs to get it.) I told him I have a shovel and I would get it. I was expecting some mangled crow or something. He told me to wear gloves. I walk out there and he asked where my gloves were. I told him the handle is long enough I don’t think I will touch it. Then I look down and it’s this tinny little bird that looks like it’s sleeping. I laughed and said,”that’s it?” He laughed at himself as I scooped it up and put it in a trashcan. I tell you. I pretty much covered all the areas of being a PE teacher today. All I needed was a student with a broken bone and I would have had a Trifecta. Stitches would have been ok also. LOL

Just another day under my belt. I’ll put a feather in my cap (not one from the bird, it’s a metaphor), pass on the funny notes, and say a prayer for the little bird. I don’t know what happed with the cops. I know they were there for over an hour with the guy and girl when I left to come home to a face full of doggie kisses, and a smoothie to cool me down on a very hot day. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww



:-) xoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo


.

No comments: