Thursday, October 28, 2010

No good deed goes unpunished.

I became a teacher because I like helping others learn something new. My whole life is about helping others. All day I help, I guide, I figure, I solve, I coddle, I encourage, and I listen.
I also get all the mainstreamed students. That's students that are special needs that the other classroom teachers don't see. With my normal size class, I get special need students to work with. This means many have a physical limitation of some sort along with a mental limitation. I have one student that I help. I help put his shoes on after tumbling. I help him with activities that need to be modified for his needs like a softball instead of a heavy shot put. I have to think ahead and plan for him as well as the other special needs and non special needs students in the class. That's a lot to do. This student did well on a run day, he has a physical limitation, and I was very happy with how hard he tired. I gave him a free ice cream after school for his hard work.
Then I get this email from his Special Ed teacher.


Hi!

We had a parent conference with Giovanni parents yesterday. The parents have the impression that there are times when teams are picked that Giovanni is put on a girls' team. They said that Gio is picked at the end. There was talk about any activity that Giovanni calls "the donut" where Gio is placed with primarily girls. Mr. M***** thought that he had observed this happening. I am not clear on exactly what was being described or how teams are arranged, so I told the parents I would contact you to find out what the procedures are. This is something that is upsetting to Gio, but I did remind the parents that the students do not always interpret events accurately. If you can email me or give me a call, I will explain to the parents (or you may talk to them directly - just let me know, please).

Thanks for your help!
~Kim
OMG, I try so hard every day with ALL the students in the class. All the Special ED kids and with him. I was not a happy camper when I read that. So here is what I wrote in return.


I have yet to pick teams. I ask the students to pick teams for themselves. This is part of the teamwork and problem solving aspects of class. I ask them to find a group of 6 or whatever number is needed. I will then ask them to challenge another team. This is also a coed PE program (p/ the state of CA.) and girls and boys can be on either team. Sometimes I will change things up when a unit seems to drag on and have maybe a girls only game and a boys only game. The students like the change up now and then. This is not often, but may happen 2-3 times for the whole year.
We will be starting football next week. Once again Giovanni will be asked to find a team ON HIS OWN. The class seems to be supportive with him and open to him being on their teams. HE needs to work on his
social skills and speak up to find a team. I do sometimes place students by skill. I don't see gender when teaching my students. I see skill level. I will have one girl on a football game of top guy players because she picked it and has the same skill level as that group of students playing. Sometimes a boy is with a group of girls. Again, skill level. Safety, and playing time are all factors that go into grouping students. I may have to use my judgment to ensure the safety, and skill development. I really enjoy having him in my class and think he is doing a wonderful job. I am accommodating him in many ways so he can not only develop his skills, but feel successful. They can come to my class if they like instead of sitting in their car watching from a distance making assumptions on what is going on in my class. This may help them to better understand the structure in the class and see how well he is doing and how he is accommodated.
Thank you.

So there you go. Another day of trying to make magic happen and getting kicked in the head for it. I will tell you this, I take pride in my teaching. I also take pride in the fact that I can think long term. When his parents are no longer with him, where will he be? I'm a dang good teacher that cares about the kids. So I will carry on. Next time you think someone could do more, think of all they are already doing.

( The worlds greatest teacher)hahahahahaha
XOXOXOXOXOXO :-)



No comments: