Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Flat Track Races

A little Saturday Night Fun.

There were about 3-4 rows of riders each race. It was really fun.
The gang.

Crash and Burn.
Very pretty day.
Colorful people.
Self explanatory.
All the racers.



Only minutes away from my house the AMA was holding it’s flat track racing. Being a fan of Speedway races, I was more than happy to see this crazy action on a half mile track at the LA County Fair Grounds. It was a very nice day until we found out it was $30.00 a person to get in. $9.00 to park, and you had to wait over 30 minutes in line just to have your order taken for way over priced food. Not to mention that they were 30+ orders behind. If you ordered something and waited, you would miss all the racing for goodness sakes. I did see countless $9.00 beers go by.

This gets me to my random topic, people watching. I like to people watch. What is better than laughing at people for being themselves? I don’t know either. This kind of racing lends itself to a plethora of clichés and stereotypes. I had a wonderful time watching this potpourri of madness. I pondered the universe on why people would do the things they do, and look the way they look. I found a harmonious mingling of eclectic souls. You have guys in their 70’s that were out there racing back in the day when a bike was a bike and the rider made the difference. You have the modern day dirt clods that have the baggy pants and a hat that has just the front of the bill flipped up like Gomer from the Andy Griffith Show. You have a few sportbike fans that have on their Ducati jackets. You also have the next generation of kids watching the race side by side with old Pops. I can’t forget the crusty, rusty Harley guys that have inappropriate logos on their shirts acting like they could still win a fight if they had to. The girl crowd gets colorful. You have the few ladies that know what’s going on and enjoy the races. You also have the ones that are just there with their boyfriends and are dressed like they are going to go shopping. Some little dress with flats on when everyone else has jeans and jackets on. Once they hook the guy they don’t go back to the races. Then you have the over the hill, fell off the back of a Harley, lady. She is the one in the torn jeans that are too tight for her. Some jewels of some sort on the shirt, jacket, jeans, belt, or all the above. Don’t forget the leather skin with blond hair. Add alcohol and you have instant “over the hill white trash that is the trophy girl to some long haired dirt bag on a cruiser”. Yeah, I said it. It was great!!!!!!!

As for the racing….

It was so cool. They go so fast out there. I was shocked. These were the top riders from all over so you know the races were going to be fast and good. I do feel bad for two riders that went down. One bounced and flipped off the concrete wall. I hope they are ok. There was even a girl racer. Just one, but I was cheering for her. She jumped the start and had to go to the back. By the end of the short race she had moved up to 7th. I wish she was able to stay on the front line where she should have started. I had a good time and hope to see the races again. My friends asked if I wanted to go out there and race. I told them, ”SIDE CAR!!!”
A little video of the races and the flag guy.
Check out the start of this race. CLICK HERE .......................(don't mind me getting upset in the background lol)
Check out the guy who loves his job. CLICK HERE ................
Thank you and have a wonderful day. :-)
The Flea.

No comments: