Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Family Letter Unlocked

I am blessed to have access to my family letters that have been saved for almost 100 years. This is how I found my family village. One problem, they are all in Italian. We can’t read them. This kills me. I have scanned some and asked a person I met in Italy to translate them for me. I have asked her to do two so far. I don’t want to be a bother since it is writing in old phrasing and difficult to understand. My friend does a good job of trying to explain what is being said in terms that I can understand today.

Here is the letter and what is says.







Monti di Villa (it’s a place name) February 18th 1917

Dearest Friend
Los Angeles Cal

First of all I’m writing this letter to tell you that I’m doing fine (in terms of health) and my family as well. I hope it is the same for you, your bride (this is what he writes, not wife, but bride) and children.
Dear Artemis, after a long time, the time has come to sign the Contract between you and your Sisters/Brothers-in-Law. This contract has been written on February 12th according to your Father-in-Law’s Last Will: he left 1000 Lira to your bride; they already gave the money to me, as you and your Bride probably know.
Then we divided your Mother-in-Law’s properties (in this case he refers to lands): to your Bride went 1) the wood close to Piano della Pila 2) three Porche (=name of mountains’ chains in Marche, which is a region in Italy) at Boncaccio in Cima, that also lies on the border with Alfredo (here honestly I don’t understand if it refers to a place name or to the name of a person, there is no use of punctuation) the Campo of Bugliano with another small spot in the Ronchetti (I’m translating by the letter here…it’s really hard to interpret), Alfonzo, three Porche at Moncaccio and a small wood at Ciocca.
I had to spend on your part totally 60 Lire in order to divide the properties and to make your proxy statement legal, therefore I still owe 940 Lire to your Bride.
As for these money, I thought to save 1000 Lire in a Cartella del Prestito Nazionale (it was a way in the past to “invest” and save your money)

I will put the rest of the money in Cassa di Risparmio (it ‘s the name of a Bank), which is a very small sum of money, since la Cartella (it was a form of low risk investment) of Liras 1000 costs 900 Liras. You will also earn Interests from January 1st up to now. This Cartella earns 5% interests a year, this means you will gain 50 Liras a year. All I did was planned considering your bride and your best interests. I hope you will be happy with it. But, listen, in case you and your bride are not happy with that, you just have to let me know and I’ll do everything according to your will. In case you don’t agree with what I did, I will sell the Cartella and I will give you the money back. Anyways, let me know what you would like to do.
I will be always here available to please you and your bride.
Please say hi to your children from me and my family.
Your friend
Ulisse Pierotti
Dear Antonio,
as for the lands owned by your wife, if you agree, I would leave them to Alfredo to take care of them, he will do it as the lands were his. I passed by the Boncaccio and noticed that the vineyard was totally neglected and looked awful. I suggest to write to Alfredo and ask if he can also take care of them and would make some grape grow, as he did for your wife…but this is just a suggestion, do what you prefer doing.
Again, greetings from you Friend Pierotti





I love my family. I love my Italian side. I feel very connected to it. I love Italy. I miss it and think about it all the time. I feel at home there. Never have I felt comfortable in a place that was not my own town. I am always a little nervous other places, but Italy was just right. I could spend the summers there no problem. It brings me a peace that I enjoy. I just still need to work on my Italian. I will learn it one day!


:-)






.

No comments: